NEWS: The CryptoParty Handbook v1.1 has been released - download or edit here.
Alpha sorted by Country / State or Province or Territory / City Confirmed Dates only please
América del Sur (South America)
Oceania / Pacific
UK and Ireland
América del Sur (South America)
Oceania / Pacific
When a CryptoParty from the list below is organised, please remove it and add to the Global Meetups list. If you are willing to help organise a CryptoParty, create a page for it and list the event details. Please use the Event template when creating the new page.
Oceania / Pacific
CryptoParty Resources, tools, software, artwork
- Internet Security 101 A practice guide to internet security. [Work in progress]
- Resources and helpful information to assist CryptoParty organisers, speakers and attendees in disseminating as much information as possible.
- Promotional Material (Creative Commons/Free Culture License) + remix files to make versions for your city
- International Messages Video and audio messages on privacy and security from international guests
- Crypto.is - an organization designed to assist and encourage anonymity and encryption research, development, and use.
- EFF - tutorials and information both on the legislative realm, and on methods protect your privacy.
- Encrypt Everything - Some basic guides for encryption software and privacy tips
- Facebook Page: Cryptoparty
- To be used to post dates and times of online and offline cryptoparty meetups, also a signpost to other online Cryptoparty resources and websites.
CryptoParty is at IRC: channel #cryptoparty on irc.oftc.net
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.oftc.net&channel=%23cryptoparty
Freenode requires auth for Tor users, OFTC doesn't require.
You may subscribe to these mailing lists and participate in discussions by e-mail. Posts may be archived, you should probably only discuss topics that you are willing to talk about in public. If you are concerned about recording your involvement on the internet for all time, set up an email account through a free email provider over Tor and use only that email account in the web-browser logged in through Tor to check the list.
- CryptoParty Handbook: http://blast.k0a1a.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/cryptobook
- Discuss organizational topics (english): https://kuix.de/mailman/listinfo/cryptoparty
- Discussions in french language: http://lists.tetalab.org/listinfo/cryptoparty
- Regional lists: You might find additional mailing lists with a regional focus on a city's information page
Questions and answers
There's a Q&A page for people who've been to a cryptoparty, but might need a little tech support love to get things up and running at home.
Media related to CryptoParty
- Stanford cryptography and #cryptoparty, Parker Higgins Blog, 2012-08-23
- Cryptoparty segment, Radio National ABC, 2012-08-30
- Cryptoparty goes viral - scmagazine.com.au, 2012-09-04
- CryptoParties For Learning Essential Survival Skills - Rick Falkvinge, 2012-09-05
- Your Data Is Safe With Nicola Roxon - New Matilda, 2012-09-05
- Cryptoparties, danger, and why you (the hacker) should help - Umeå Hackerspace, 2012-09-06
- YouTube: Adam vs. The Man adamvstheman.com - Youtube vlog, 2012-09-06
- Have Yourself a Merry Little CryptoParty - betabeat, 2012-09-07
- Rise of Cryptoparty - Xerocrypt Blog, 2012-09-10
- Byte Into It / 3RRR interview with BenM, 2012-09-12]
- RTAmerica: Ain't no party like a cryptoparty: privacy goes viral 2012-09-21
- Heather Marsh message to CryptoParty Melbourne 2012-09-22
- Privacy movement finds strength in crypto night - The Age, 2012-09-23
- Insurgent Anarchism: an idea whose time has come (Part I) 2012-09-16 (Starting in the section "Revolutionary Cypherpunks")
- A video message of support from AnonyOps 2012-09-23
- A video message of support from the Electronic Frontier Foundation 2012-09-23
- RTAmerica: Cryptoparty vs. total surveillance 2012-09-24
- Wikipedia article 2012-09-25
- Activists Warned to Watch What They Say as Social Media Monitoring Becomes Next Big Thing in Law Enforcement - The Independent 2012-10-01
- Eins ist unsicher: Unsere Daten - F.A.Z. 2012-10-1
- Cryptoparty-Bewegung Verschlüsseln, verschleiern, verstecken - Spiegel Online 2012-10-09
- Internet Users Learn to Protect their Online Privacy at Crypto Parties - TechPresident 2012-10-09
- There is No Party Like a CryptoParty - Huffington Post 2012-10-10
- CryptoParty Like It's 1993 - Glenn Moody - TechDirt 2012-10-11
- CryptoParty: like a Tupperware party for learning crypto - BoingBoing 2012-10-13
- Cryptoparties teach data privacy to the public - SBS World News 2012-10-16
- For their eyes only - ABC Radio National 2012-10-21
- Cryptoparty Digitale Sicherheit leicht gemacht - Funkhaus Europa 2012-10-24
- Feierliches Verschlüsseln DATEN SICHERN AUF CRYPTOPARTYS - DRADIO.DE
- CRYPTOPARTY: Šifrování coby virál - PirateNews 2012-11-06
- Why Mozilla should join the CryptoParty - h-online.com 2012-10-23
- OpenMedia.ca Calgary Street Team: CryptoParties Go Viral
- German CryptoParty article in HDM Stuttgart, 2013-04-16
- 'Sicherheit für alle' - Theresa Hübner hat ihren PC auf einer CryptoParty gesichert, DRadio Wissen 2013-03-20
Thank you to Noisebridge
Be excellent to each other is a guiding principle of CryptoParty. Wikipedia uses a somewhat similar rule, which they call "the fundamental rule of all social spaces. Every other policy for getting along is a special case of it." Unlike Wikipedia, CryptoParty takes a positive approach, and avoids the practice of officially enumerating the myriad potential special cases; "be excellent" is enough.
Doing excellent stuff at CryptoParty does not require permission or an official consensus decision. If you're uncertain about the excellence of something you want to do, you should ask someone else what they think.
Leadership is taken by individuals for specific projects. This is called "sudo leadership" after the *nix command sudo which allows a regular user to do one root-level, or superuser, task. In other words, if you want CryptoParty to do something, start doing it. At times someone may take sudo leadership to take a tutorial, fix the wifi, update the wiki, or organise the next CryptoParty.
CryptoParty is dedicated to providing a harassment-free sharing experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion or technical ability.
- hurtful or offensive comments
- deliberate intimidation
- direct or indirect threats
- inappropriate physical contact
- unwelcome sexual attention.
If you are asked to stop any harassing behavior you are expected to do so immediately. Participants who violate the anti-harassment policy will be asked to leave, and may be permanently barred from attending future events.